Leave Us a Comment to let us know you stopped by. Now on to the stories.



Once Upon A Time...

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My own "Coke" Addiction

Have you heard about this??!




Swedish woman allowed to seek treatment for ‘Coke’ addiction

Published: 19 Jan 09 07:04 CETOnline: http://www.thelocal.se/16998/20090119/
Dictionary tool Double click on a word to get a
translation

A Swedish court has ruled that a woman be allowed to seek treatment for her addiction to Coca Cola.
(19 Jan 09) For years, the woman from Malmö in southern Sweden has struggled to control her urge to consume large quantities of the popular soft drink and other foods, writes the Sydsvenskan newspaper.Her eating habits have given her a range of health problems, resulting in emergency hospitalization for diabetes and high blood pressure.Deaf since childhood, the woman claims that her food addiction is a side-effect of her handicap. She’s been fighting with public authorities in Sweden to gain access to special treatment to help her with her condition.While local health authorities as well as the Administrative Court (Länsrätten) agreed that the woman had serious health issues, both previously ruled that remedies available through standard healthcare were sufficient for treating the woman’s Coke addiction.According to the Administrative Court of Appeal (Kammarrätten), however, the woman’s lifestyle is a threat to her health.Therefore, it has ordered the woman be allowed to check in to a special addiction treatment clinic for the deaf, which it sees as perhaps the only way for the woman to drop her food addiction.According to the court, there is no evidence that local health services can offer the woman the sort of special treatment she needs due to her handicap.
The Local (
news@thelocal.se/08 656 6518
I think this could be me! Well not the part about being from Sweden, or being deaf, and you can cross off a lot of those serious health issues. But the addiction to Coca-Cola! Yeah, me. Seriously, what is better than some tortilla chips, fresh salsa, (okay, any salsa) and a nice cold Coca-Cola? Or, being up studying late at night and chugging down the stuff? Just thinking about it makes me want a 32 ounce right now.
But, as of last week, I have greatly cut back. In fact, this is now my seventh day without my Coke! Heaven help me. I figure if I want to lose these last 20-25 pounds and get my body back, it is the only way. If only I could rely on Dr.Pepper for a little help!

3 comments:

Sheri said...

Oooo...sign me up for the Coke addiction program! I can't believe you've gone 7 days without it! As of this moment, I have officially gone...let's see...1 hour and 12 minutes. I don't think I'll make it much longer. And I whole-heartedly agree with you - throw in the chips and salsa and we've got a recipe for extreme contentment and yet another pound of chub on my belly.

Megan said...

It must be a family thing. I am totally the same and decided that I better switch to diet. Gross. Also... chips and salsa and coke! That is my favorite treat! Who knew? Hope you are all doing well. Love ya!

Michelle said...

Oh yeah, addiction runs in the family. Love the brown bubbly. Thought this was very funny!!!

And They Lived Happily Ever After!