It is bound to happen, I just didn't think it would be at 10 months old. Yesterday Baby Bear earned her first Emergency Room visit.
Papa Bear and I are the type of parents that try and use the "let them cry it out method." We usually let Baby Bear fuss or cry for about five minutes to see if she can calm herself down and go back to sleep before we go and check on her. Yesterday, at about 5:00 am, she started crying, and wasn't able to calm herself. I got up out of bed and started towards her room when I see her fly over the side of her crib and land on the floor. Oddly, she stopped crying. Papa Bear and I looked all over for injuries and checked that her eyes looked okay. Her arm was a little scraped up, and she broke Sister Bear's princess chair. But, she seemed to be really happy so we both thought she was fine. We put her back down in our bed and she went back to sleep.
When she woke up she was really irritable, even towards Brother Bear, which is very uncharacteristic. I put her down and she tried to walk , but had no balance. When I tried to give her some breakfast she refused the solids, and gagged on the liquids, only to spit up what little she got down. So with a call to the pediatrician, Baby Bear and I were off to Primary Children's Emergency Room.
They monitored her heart rate and blood pressure and tried to get her to take some liquids. After that they sent her in for a CAT scan of the brain. The wrapped her up like a little burrito. That feeling of seeing your child wrapped up, crying, and pleading with those little eyes to make them stop... I hate that feeling.
She was diagnosed with a cerebral concussion. The good news is that the CAT scan came back normal, no swelling or bleeding. However, it took us until about 12:30 until she finally kept some gatorade down. And, the only way they could get her to take the gatorade? Not a bottle, not a sippy cup, she would only drink it from a juice box with a straw. Silly girl, how big does she think she is?
The instructions from the ER docs were to take her out of the crib, because if she climbed out once, she will do it again. However, she is not big enough for a toddler bed. So I guess we are putting her mattress on her floor. I don't know how we are going to keep her in bed all night.
I am just so thankful the injuries weren't serious. I just wish this little girl would quit growing up so quickly.
Leave Us a Comment to let us know you stopped by. Now on to the stories.
Once Upon A Time...
Once Upon A Time...
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
PCMC ER
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
And They Lived Happily Ever After!

5 comments:
so scary! I am so sorry - I too hate that feeling. I dread the day when Bonnie has to go to the ER. But, it is bound to happen. I am glad all is alright.
That is really scary! I'm glad she's okay.
glad she's okay :) i am always amazed how little ones can get out of their cribs, esp. so young! mine have never done it (knock on wood).
Oh my goodness! Poor little Oaklie! I was wondering why you were home Tuesday morning, I guess I know now. I'm glad she's ok. I know that horrible feeling of them being all wrapped up and crying for you. We had Mathew up at Primary's for a high fever and they had to mummify him to take his blood. It was horrible. Good luck with having her out of her crib. I can't even imagine having to deal with that already.
Brandi, that is so awful! I'm glad everything is okay. Good luck with putting her bed on the floor.
Post a Comment